Thursday, August 14, 2014

When is Jesus Judge and When is He Not?

Christians believe Jesus will be the Ultimate Judge.  In the Nicene Creed, we proclaim that He "will come to judge the living and the dead."

Yet, some Bible verses raise interesting questions, as sometimes Jesus says He's not to judge.  What's this all about?

There are several verses where Jesus - Himself -- talks about His power and authority to judge - or not.  [Verses used are from the New International Version (NIV) of The Holy Bible.]

'Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son" (Jn 5:22); "And he [The Father] has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man" (Jn 5:27).

Yet, later in John, Jesus says:  "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him.  For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it." (Jn 12:47)

So, is He here to judge or not?

There are other verses where Jesus says He is judge or He is not judge, but let's deal just with these for now.

1 comment:

  1. This is I, your humble author. I'm able to post, but maybe it's because I'm the owner of the blog. I'll continue to find out why some (all?) can't comment on this blog.

    Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete